To my daughter

I won’t shove a needle and a thread 

Into your hands and bind you with lead 

Nor will I extradite you 

To strangers, mountebanks and egotists

To force their shackles onto your wrists;

The ways of women, ways of men

Passed on from hen to hen

Drake to drake.

What I’m hoping to give you is

The ways to fill the canvas, the possibilities

To point you to the source

Teach you how to swim

Follow every stream

For you are what you dream.

I trust you will learn

How to discern

A weed from a rose

I won’t impose, but bear in mind

A weed isn’t always unkind

And every rose has its thorns.

And please, look for beauty

In whatever you may undertake

Wherever you may awake.

I will, I will

Instill the beauty in you

Long before you are conceived

(I am your mother even as we speak)

I will not let my sorrows shriek

Your face I seek across the present-future.

And I beseech you, forgive

Your father and myself

For our love will outlive our faults;

Love is the sole fuel to my will

To predict and to kill

The future errors of my ways

But so many are eluding me still.

And whatever I can’t fathom

Solve or foresee

I hope I’d learn it from thee

As much as you’ll learn from me.

I close my eyes, I see you sleeping

A druid in the wee body newborn

A beautiful alien in a skin unworn

I wonder what you’re dreaming of.

(October 2019)






































Photo taken from: https://www.facebook.com/artofsurrealism/photos/a.554324937922591/2599008610120870


No comments:

Post a Comment